The Big Question Is: Did Darwin Bury God?
For centuries there had seemed no way of understanding how life had emerged and developed on earth other than it being God’s handiwork. All things in the natural world - including animals and human beings - all signed, sealed and delivered in just six days of hectic divine activity. BUT with Charles Darwin and his theory of evolution there was a seismic shift – one that, ever since, seems to have diminished God. “Darwin has left God nothing to do,” says Tufts university philosopher and New Atheist Daniel Dennett. Examining this proposition is at the heart of Life, Evolution and The God Question.
Do atheists need Darwin? “Yes, Yes and Yes,” responds the renowned evolutionary biologist David Sloan Wilson. The case for atheism is built on the premise that evolution, by itself, explains the whole story. BUT:
These are just some of the questions explored in Life, Evolution and The God Question.
- What did Darwin really say?
- Was he substantially correct and if so what are the real and honest implications for God?
- What does the modern science of genetics tell us about Darwin’s ideas?
- Can the fossil record help?
Most scientists are persuaded that evolution provides important true insights into how life developed on earth. BUT a significant number of them believe in God. “This is science teaching us what was really happening with God’s creative plan,” says the former head of the Human Genome Project, Francis Collins and author of “The Language of God.” BUT:
Other scientists are much more sceptical about how much evolution really explains.
Once again in a programme that features atheists and theists who are world renowned authorities on the subject, the gloves are off in the most high profile battle ground of science and religion in the last 150 years.
- If evolution is God’s process why is it so wasteful of life?
- Where in the process was the birth of the human soul?
- Can it produce new body parts?
- Where does the coded information come from that instructs every cell in how it should be built?
- How can a system that is random produce such sophistication as the human brain?
- Can genetics professor Steve Jones be correct when he says we result from “a series of successful mistakes”?
To help viewers determine a contributor's stance on the topics discussed within The God Question, we have introduced a series-wide colour coding scheme; Theists, Atheists and Neutral Contributors.