Religion Divides the World
Nothing divides the world and raises passion like politics and religion. Of the two, religion has the longer history and has caused more bloodshed and acrimony. Few would dispute that politics is necessary for order and government but the same argument can scarcely apply to religion. Whereas the social order that comes from good government is demonstrable, it is often difficult to decipher what religion really achieves - other than conflict and division.
Groping in the Dark?
Religion by definition is a means of trying to touch the intangible; an effort to see the unseen, a form of groping in the dark. But what if the object of the search does not actually exist? John Lennon’s song “Imagine”, famously evoked a world of no religion, no heaven and no hell: only sky above us. By implication: no God. By inference: a world of peace and happiness. For many it is a compellingly attractive idea.
The Voice of New Atheism
Activists known as the “New Atheists” urge the people of the twenty first century to abandon belief in the unbelievable in favour of a world governed by rational thinking and more actively dependent on building belief on what is scientifically verifiable. But what if they are wrong? What if God does exist and how would you ever know?
Science & The God Question
Taking a rational – and often scientific – approach to what has become an impassioned debate is the home territory of The God Question television series. The programmes set an agenda for a definitive approach to addressing the question of God’s existence. The series consists of three programmes, each of which resonates with issues underpinning the God question.
The episodes explore:
The Cosmos – asking if there’s space for God.
Life & Evolution – querying if Darwin buried God.
Mind and Consciousness – enquiring if the very sophistication of the human mind suggests a mind behind the universe.
In the Programmes...
- Cosmologists and physicists unravel some of the mysteries of the universe.
- Biologists and palaeontologists probe the wonders of life on earth.
- Neuroscientists shine light into the fascinating world of the human brain, mind and consciousness.
- Historians and sociologists help interpret trends, past and present.
- Philosophers keep watch on how convincingly the logic stacks up.
The Fundamental Issue
Underlying the whole series, there is one fundamental issue being examined:
- Does the evidence from contemporary science logically lead us to reject the case for a creator or does it support the case for his existence?
- Does it appear that we are here merely by chance or more likely by intention?
Essentially that is The God Question.